The Indian government gives a driving licence to everyone who drives in India. It's a must-have for driving any vehicle legally. Before getting the licence, candidates need to pass a driving test by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) to prove they can drive. This helps prevent accidents by ensuring only capable drivers get a licence.
You can also apply for a licence online, and the government has certain criteria for eligibility. On this page, we'll guide you on how to download your driving licence online.
|Download Driving Licence
|Download Licence (Bihar)
|Download Licence (Madhya Pradesh)
|Download Licence (Uttar Pradesh)
|Download Licence (By Mobile Number)
|Download Licence (DigiLocker)
|Download Licence (Learning)
Driving Licence Download Process
To obtain a PDF copy of their licence, individuals can visit the Sarathi Parivahan portal and input all necessary details until they receive their physical driving licence. Follow the steps below if you wish to download your driver's licence:
- First, visit on the Parivahan Sewa Portal (Sarathi Portal) – https://sarathi.parivahan.gov.in/.
- Next, go to the "Online Services" section and select it. You will encounter several options; choose "Driving License Related Services."
- Once the page is open, find and click on "Select State Name" to choose your state from the provided list.
- After making the state selection, a new page will appear. On this page, locate and click on "Other." This action will reveal additional options under "Other," among which you should choose "Search Related Application."
- On the next page, you'll need to define your search parameters, like the application number or DL number. Provide the necessary details, such as your selected document number (e.g., driving licence number), date of birth, and the captcha code in the specified box.
- After confirming the accuracy of the information, click the "Submit" button. Your personal details, including your name, application number, date of birth, DL number, etc., will then appear on the screen.
- To proceed, find and click on the Driving Licence Number.
Once you click on the Driving Licence Number, it will be visible on your screen. You can choose to print or download it by clicking on the print option located just below the driving licence.
Download Driving Licence By Digilocker
DigiLocker is a government platform in India where anyone can access and download their valid documents if necessary. This includes the option to download a driving licence. To do this, follow the simple steps below.
- Begin by visiting the DigiLocker application or the official website at https://www.digilocker.gov.in/.
- Log in using your mobile number and password. Next, click on "Search Document" and look for "Driving Licence All-State." Select it.
- On the new page that appears, enter your DL number and click on "Get Document" to download your driving licence.
What is a Driving Licence?
A Driving Licence is a document issued by the Transport Department after an individual passes their driving test. This document certifies that the driver is qualified to operate a vehicle.
Eligibility for DL
To apply for a driving licence in India, the minimum age is 18 years. For non-geared vehicles with a capacity of less than 50 CC, the minimum age is 16. Additionally, applicants should be familiar with traffic rules and possess documents like Aadhaar Card, PAN Card, and class 10th mark sheet.
Before applying for a driving licence, candidates must have the following documents:
- Aadhaar card
- PAN card
- Birth certificate
- Ration card
- Voter ID Card
- Passport size photo, etc.
Types of Driving Licence
There are four types of driving licences in India:
- Learner's Licence: The Learner's Licence is given to individuals learning to drive and is usually valid for a restricted period of six months, during which specific driving limitations apply.
- Permanent Driving Licence: The Permanent Driving Licence is issued after successfully completing the learning phase and passing the driving test, allowing independent driving for an extended period, often up to 20 years
- Commercial Driving Licence: Commercial Driving Licence is essential for those operating commercial vehicles, such as buses and trucks, serving as authorization for professional driving activities.
- International Driving Permit: International Driving Permit facilitates driving in foreign countries, valid for one year and used alongside a domestic licence.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are detailed answers to the FAQs related to downloading a driving licence:
Yes, you can download your driving licence online through the official portal provided by the relevant transport department. Visit the official website, log in with your credentials, and navigate to the section for downloading the licence.
To download your driving licence, you typically need information such as your application number, driving licence number, date of birth, and other relevant details. Make sure you have these details handy before attempting to download.
The validity of a learning driving licence is usually up to six months. In certain regions, you may be able to download it online through the official portal by providing the necessary details.
In numerous instances, a permanent driving licence is issued within 30 days after successfully passing the driving test. However, the exact duration may vary based on the procedures of the specific transport department.
Yes, there are various types of driving licences, including Learner's Licence, Permanent Driving Licence, Commercial Driving Licence, and International Driving Permit. The ability to download them online may vary based on the type and the policies of the specific region.
Yes, you have the option to download your driving licence through the Sarathi portal using the unique application number assigned to your licence application. Simply access the Sarathi portal, input your application number, and follow the designated process to download your driving licence hassle-free. Furthermore, you can download your DL using your DL Application number on DigiLocker.